Saturday 27 March 2010

Fat, bloated executive seeks larger base machine. Contact......

My PC recently developed the characteristics of the company car of a fat bloated executive, who didn't get the promotion they thought they deserved and didn't get the larger, more powerful company car required to drive the Windows executive's once sprightly athletic body, sadly now saddled with the weight of so many files, and jaded by one too many update, struggling with a five year old machine.

As the current financial situation bested my wallet the idea of a new one has had to give way to the reality that the car's insurance is due shortly, and faced with a pc whose operational parameters I have been trying to exceed, which is slowing down to a crawl under Windows XP, I spent the past week on servicing my pc and installing Ubuntu 9.10, running as a virtual PC under Sun Virtualbox, and the transformation has been extraordinary.


Ubuntu fires up in a quarter of the time, Firefox boots in seconds instead of minutes and resource demands on the the host PC have dramatically reduced.

I sorted out my home page and my Twitter and chat/IM applications and within a very short time, it was the old environment I was use to, but without added lag.



Even this blog post was compiled under Ubuntu and Open Office...




If this continues I might even move Ubuntu onto my host machine and forget Windows 7 and keep this machine a bit longer.....


A bit of TV.....



Read of the old blog...





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: