Wednesday 18 June 2008

Media Skinner Blues

I have spent the past week working on my media pc, cleaning out the register, deleting and reorganising folders, de-fragmenting hard drives and finally getting round to re-skinning one of my fave applications Winamp.
I decided that I needed a more conventional look to it, so it looks like a Hi-Fi rather than a collection of windows.

Before.........


The default skin, which I guess, in one form or another I have used for years, is nice but not that intuitive to use for newbies.

After skinning it looks like a Hi-Fi, even down to the animated speakers.


I quite liked this skin, though there are loads and loads to choose from so I could have been there another couple of weeks!

Only problem with Winamp is that major media outlets, such as the BBC do not use it, preferring to waste the licence fee in producing their own, rather naff, web browser-based interface known as iPlayer (not available outside UK I believe) which I do use, but only after waiting for ages to load the last Dr Who episode.

However, Winamp's access to a world of sight and sound more than makes up for this lack of access to major players, and in fact, can demonstrate how much the Corporate Media Industry is completely out of touch with it's potential audience.

Current fave internet radio stations are Folk Alley and Radio Paradise though there are thousands.

What's your fave media player?

Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool skin there buddy boy!

Pablothehat said...

Thanx PP u ok?