Tuesday 23 December 2008

ScribeFire. A light-weight blogging tool or just a light weight?

As my regular visitors will know, I have been trying to get Yoono and The Tao of Blog to talk to each other but, alas, to no positive result. In all other aspects Yoono is becoming more and more indispensable with it's ability to drag and drop URL, text, weblinks and images to a page which is saved off-site, and then to use them as the basis for articles, and its excellent cross-network compatibilities are first-rate and Yoono is only marred with this lack of integration with my blog.

However, every cloud and all that!

This difficulty made me look for other solutions, namely in the form of Windows Live Writer, which I have used for the post few posts on the Tao of Blog, and found it very capable, but sometimes, too much of a resource-hogging heavy-weight for just a simple, quick blog post.
So, to discover ScribeFire, a Firefox add-on, seems to have filled this role, light, quick to load and recognised my blog easily.

It is able to run in a separate window is a boon, rather than the default split-screen view.

You are also able to monetise your blog via ScribeFires Quick Ads program, which I have not looked at as yet, we'll see if ScribeFire prove to be a useful add-on first.

The only fly seems to be no spell checker. It is supposed to intergrate with Firefox's built-in checker but it doesn't seem to want to play.
So I guess it is the same as usual, type in WP, cut and paste or publish. then re-edit in Blogger or Live Writer. So, in reality using ScribeFire without a working spell checker is no quicker than before.
If I am able to either find out what the problem is with the spell checker, or find a replacement for it, ScribeFire may just stay on my PC, if not, well, nice idea.

Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Jan said...

I have added ScribeFire too to my browser, but at the moment it's still waiting in the wings, ears perked for the get-go from me. I noticed too the ads integration feature of ScribeFire. The thing is I don't know what to do with it as a blogging tool. At the moment, I'm using Google Doc as my word processor, then I copy and paste it to blogger, spruce it up with Zemanta pics and related articles suggestions. Pretty prehistoric eh? Hahaha. I'm a late adopter. In fact, I just started blogging. So perhaps that explains the hesitancy. :)

Pablothehat said...

I think the interface for blogger is prehistoric period.
I have been using a combination of LiveWriter, MS Word, ScribeFire, Zemanta, NotePad, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer,and Quick Thumbnail to get out my posts so I know what you mean.
I tend to use MS Word and LiveWriter if the post is a large one or has lots of images and ScribeFire for just short items. Mind you, I haven't posted since this one, too much Twitter! Have been collecting images and ideas for posts so one should be out soon.
I haven't mastered the art of making any money yet from my blog..tend to be too cautious..LOL.

Nice comment! thanks for stopping by!