Tuesday 30 October 2007

David Byrne Journal

When I came across Talking Heads front man David Byrne's online blog the other evening it felt like meeting up with an old friend and spending time catching up on the past few years.

I have been playing music, guitar, blues harp and percussion for quite a few years and I spent hours going over the video of the live acoustic version of Psycho Killer and My Girlfriend is Better, so that I could get the chords and the difficult strumming technique right.
Those two songs provided some income when I was unemployed, flat broke and busking to get me and my ex-wife through a lot of financial hardship.

I still love those tracks and still I play them, assaulting my old guitar with the heavy, staccato thrashing with lots of damping palm techniques, a fantastic way to relieve stress, tension and frustration.

And, on those occasions when my head exploded with dark forebodings, and all I thought I knew had taken on an fearful aspect, repeating David Byrne's lyrics, like a mantra, preserved my sanity through some very troubled, bazaar and emotional situations.

'Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was.'


David Byrne Journal

Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Play some tunes for us on your instrument(s) and post an audio on your blog. That would be cool! :o)

Pablothehat said...

LOL we'll see!!