Friday 18 January 2008

Reasons to go Virtual Part 3

If any of you have been paying attention this term, Smithers! Bring that to me!
Mmm, interesting choice reading material, though not, I fear, on the curriculum. See me after.
Where was I?
Oh yes, paying attention.
Yes! Virtualisation!

If you have been paying attention, you will be aware that, along side Netvibes, one of my other major interests is the use of Virtual PC's.
The interest started way back in my Atari ST days when I use to cram alternative desktops into a ram disc and save the file onto a floppy disc, (pre hard drive stuff this, very gripping!) and then boot from the floppy. A different desktop and applications for different tasks, DTP, game tweaks etc.
Funny enough, that old 8 megehertz system still boots in about a tenth of the time than the Gigahertz monster in front of me.

Now on the PC, I use a similar approach; each Virtual PC has a different task.
It also makes the PC more secure against data loss and from cyber attack, which is the subject of the two-part BBC article below.
With this application, police in Wales are now implementing this forensic method.

If you had not heard of Virtualisation before, you will. It is a growing movement in computing and will probably the way we will all be working in the near future.









BBC NEWS | Technology | Tracking down hi-tech crime

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: