Wednesday 21 November 2007

Any blogging advantages in joining Traffic Exchange sites?

Sorry that I have been neglecting my post for a few days, went a bit absent without leave!

Actually I have been exploring if there are any blogging advantages in joining Traffic Exchange sites in an attempt to get more visitors to my blog.

This has had some mixed results. The first few days were going quite well. I had increased my visitor count and heck, some of you were even sticking around to read this crap.

The last few days though is a different story.. yesterday and today seems to be my worst day for visitors since I started, mmmmm? Is there a connection? Or is it just Turkey Bloat?

That question is relevant on several levels.

By joining these sites in the hope that you may draw new readers and hopefully subscribers, is very time consuming, but the first few days is spent looking round the site, trying to understand the small print. (Thank FireFox for zoom!!)

The first Traffic Exchange I joined was sometime ago with Bravenet.



Bravenet provide you with a piece of code which you insert into you site. This enables Bravenet to send a pop-under window , which is similar to a pop-up window, except rather than being on top, it opens a window below the current one, of another member's web page. Likewise, your web page is sent to someone' else when they open theirs.

It tends to be a very passive type of advertising, generally you hardly notice them there and this leads to speculation of their efficacy.

The only other problems I have encountered have been when poorly coded sites grab your processor time, but this is easily remedied by closing the window. The other problem I have encountered is with their website not allowing me to log in recently. It seems to be having problems with cookies and not being to access my account without a bit of a struggle. As this is a recent development I need to look at and sort.

Apart from those areas, the amount of traffic from Bravenet has been rather steady, if not many, though the level of active involvement with this exchange is minimal, apart when one has to close a troublesome site.

Bravenet also offer several other services such as free web hosting, widget and blogging resources, ftp, affiliate programs and money earning opportunities which I will explore in the coming months.
Along with splitting the Atom, building box girder bridges...nod to Monty Python.

(The Sands of Time eh?..A painful reminder of the brevity of it all in the Japs Eye of Life, no offence meant.)

The second Traffic Exchange I signed up with I briefly reviewed in an earlier post, is TS25 or it's full title of Traffic Syndication 25.




This site is a lot more demanding of your actual time. Once signed up you are give a selection of websites to view with an exchange rate between you and those who see your website or blog.

A very basic outline of how it works.
For viewing blog and web pages on a 15 second timer, you earn credits which can be bought, sold or exchanged for more traffic to your site.

There is a community and affiliate side to Traffic Syndicate 25 as there is to Bravenet and nearly all of the others that I have viewed.

To be honest, it can be totally boring. Most of these ads are for other sites offering all similar services, increase traffic, or amazing health drink promotions to the latest in how to earn a billion by having a cheap and tacky website. blah, blah, blah, blah...
Occasionally an interesting site does come up and you are able to bookmark these in your profile.

I spent a whole two days just about clicking from one site to another, bit like Sky really, and I managed to earn nearly 2000 points, and gaining a star rating, but talk about tedium.
Anyway by the end of the second day my partner exploded. 'You have been sitting on your arse for two days for what exactly?..'

Trying to explain the concept to my partner that points make whatever, did little to appease this neglected Tyrant who demands constant worship.
I had to confess that when trying to convince her, I was starting to have my own doubts.
Can this sort of approach actually yield any any meaningful blogger/visitor relationship?

(Though will I still be living here tomorrow if she doesn't calm down should be my more immediate concern!!)

Despite the hell hath no fury thing, I joined another site, EasyHits4u, which is similar to the TS25 site.



I haven't used this much as yet, nor have I explored this site thoroughly busy sacrificing a few doves on pain of banishment, you know, that sort of thing.
I will keep you all posted on my adventures in Traffic Exchange and my relationship developments.

Hits from Bravenet and Ts25


Absolutely dreadful hits that day!

But this one restored my faith.....



and I do like to know what sort of people have been looking at my blog. Glad to see I am getting a fan base from all sectors of society. Covert? I think not! Moonlighting? LOL

Sphere: Related Content

3 comments:

Divinyl said...

I commend your motivation...I simply can't be bothered to do all this! I hope it brings you oodles of new readers and friends. Now where's that meme? ;o)

P.s. The Bravenet things are actually rather annoying...I close them immediately, as I would any other unrequeted pop-up, but don't know about anyone else.

Grizzly said...

Hiya Pablo,

I too am awaiting your meme answers - the pressure is on now - I fully expect to laugh my guts out so don't disappoint!

In regards to traffic exchanges you should know that Google doesn't look favorably on them as they inflate the ad impression count. They will pay you a whopping penny for every thousand views so traffic exchanges are seen as a way to game them for the money - all 1 cent of it. Just thought I would mention it as you have adsense on the blog. They can ban you for it so it's worth knowing about.

These exchange sites also tend to harbor viruses so be careful.

Like DV I close all pop-anythings immediately and suspect most people do. They really haven't succeeded very well despite the Gurus rambling on about them.

and now I await your meme with baited breath...

Cheers

Pablothehat said...

Thanks for that bit of advice GB..I am rethinking my relationship with Adsense..It has not yeilded very much revenue anyway and I am considering taking it off my blog and concentrating more on Amazon.