Friday 16 November 2007

Paul Dice: Helium – Where Knowledge Rules




Paul Dice: Helium – Where Knowledge Rules

Helium recently sent me an email asking if I would consider changing my pen name to something a bit more professional.
At first, I was taken aback. What is wrong with Pablothehat? It is me, my cyber me, it's..

An over attachment to a mental construct which has served its purpose..Yes.

Had I actually been too attached to this persona? Was it time that the child put away childish things?

So, after deciding that it would probably be, for my future writing opportunities, the more logical thing to do, change the old Moniker for something approaching a name more suited.

This was more difficult than I thought. Should I go for taking up one of my Irish or Scottish ancestors names? Should I try combining the two? Should I consider the great writers or thinkers of our world, and look for inspiration amongst those illustrious people?

I was starting to feel like an expectant parent, trying to find a favourable magical name to give their offspring. To endow this fragile persona, a name that will command the very stars, open all the doors and bestow riches and success upon this treasured loved one.

Finally, I decided the simpler the better.

I am not a very complicated person, and I could not have remembered anything so well constructed as to be able to hide within it, an encrypted copy of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

So looking along the bookshelves at many of the publications that I have amassed over the years. Books that have helped me, influenced me and educated me.

Suddenly a copy of Luke Rhinehart's, The Dice Man winked at me! Seems appropriate.


Pablothehat - AKA - Paul Dice.

Sphere: Related Content

16 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

There's nowt wrong wi Pablo the Hat. I've a couple of 'pork pie' hats n there's Jack The Hat McVitie.

soz...it's the vodka...

Pablothehat said...

is that the same finger as you wipe your bum with?
LOL
Jack The Hat McVitie, mmm didn't turn out too good for him...perhaps the name change might be good.

Anonymous said...

Should have changed it to Dick Cheese. LOL

Pablothehat said...

I did toy with the idea of Miss Genitailia Warts..but then I realised you already had they copyrights on that one Gina!

Divinyl said...

I loved The Dice Man when I read it! It's a proper thinker...something that could only have been written in the times of drug-aided-imagination that were the 60s and 70s! You, in keeping with Gina's suggestion, could have been Paul Cockcroft...Rhinehart's real name being George Cockcroft. I haven't really explored Helium yet, although I have had it bookmarked for a long time. Have you discovered eZine Articles yet? x

Pablothehat said...

I link my stuff with Zimbro which has a sort of Ezine type thinng but I haven't looked at it yet. Tell me more!

Divinyl said...

http://ezinearticles.com/

Don't really know a lot about it yet...I have submitted (and had accepted) about 4 articles and am now an 'expert author'!

I'm totally not into getting my head around the web and all these marketing tools like you seem to be. I am envious, but, ultimately, came here to write, not baffle myself with the enormity of it all! Lol.

I have so much to learn, but am young and full of apathy! I'm impressed how, in my comment above, now 'The Dice Man' is scrollable-overable and brings up an Amazon ad. Impressive! No idea how you did that, but you're certainly learning some cool tricks! :o)

Anonymous said...

Bite Me!!!! :oP

Pablothehat said...

Gina, consider yourself bitten!! LOL

DV
To got the links from Amazon you have to register as an affiliate with them and then set it up on Amazon and get a piece of code which you put on your site so that Amazon can scan your blog for keywords that relate to products which they sell. It is then highlighted as a link to that product. I get a percentage of the cover price.

Pablothehat said...

DV, IO am envious of your blog layout. I haven't got my head around that side of things yet so no need to feel that you haven't got enough knowledge..I know what I know, but there are still big holes in my fishing net LOL.

Divinyl said...

I don't really understand layout yet either! Lol. Well, not beyond what you can do in Blogger itself, anyway. I know that clever people are able to import layouts from elsewhere; but my knowledge of HTML is practically non-existent! I still haven't figured out how to put a picture in my header...and actually have it fit to the space and not just look silly!

But you are right...there is a lot to learn and I already feel that I have learn quite a bit in a very short space of time...I honestly never knew there was this much to know about blogging!

I registered with Amazon last night, but haven't yet added any code...going to wait until I have a bit more time (or, rather, motivation) to sit and read through all the different ways you can use it!

I repeat that you are officially the most lovely and helpful blogger I have 'met' to date! :oD

Forest Parks said...

A very good simple name. I still think PabloTheHat was fine but maybe P.T.Hat would have been a good closer alternative :)

I still need to put some more attention back to Helium.

Pablothehat said...

Nice suggestion Forest..almost PT Barnham LOL. (Don't think I have spelt that right)

I haven't wrote anything fresh for Helium for a while.

I was unsure what would be the best stratergy to take. Write a 100 articles for Helium and sit back and hope people read them or, write a smaller amount of articles at first..then spend the time getting as much exposure for those few as possible.
I seem to have gone for the latter approach.

What pen name do you use at Helium?

Pablothehat said...

Four Dinners..I read on your blog about your experiences seeking some form of justice and I can understand as me and my partner have had much the same kind of treatment.

All of these schemes for justice are nothing more than attractive soundbites that mp's and other civic leaders can roll out to make it appear like they are doing something and nothing more.

Grizzly said...

The comments are better than the post - well done everyone.

I for one will miss "the Hat" although I left you a suitable moniker in the BZ comments.

If you and DV want to fiddle with your blogger blogs check out;

http://betabloggerfordummies.blogspot.com/

You can learn how to tweak your codes there.

Good luck Mr Dice!

Griz

Pablothehat said...

LOL Thanks, I will still keep Pablothehat going everywhere else, it is only on Helium I will be using Paul Dice.
I will check out that site you mentioned my friend, I would really like to give TOB a make over. Use up some of that empty space.